|Credit to pngpix.com|
Storing fruits and vegetables is one of the biggest problem I had. As a busy mom, I usually buy fruits and vegetables once in a week. But after a few days, these veggies and fruits are already a waste of money. When the time that I want to cook them it's already rotten. How sad... and I end up cooking nothing but meat :(
So I came to research what are the best way to store fruits and veggies that could last longer. One golden rule is never store fruits and vegetable together. The acidity of the fruit makes the veggies rot faster.
- Apple - Store them in the coolest part of the fridge.
- Celery, carrots, and cabbage - pack them in plastic, some use foil but you have to consume it as soon as possible. And with carrots some cut the leafy part of it, cause that's the part that rot fast. I tried cutting the carrots in cubes and putting them in the freezer, that should work for a week.
- Eggplant - Usually I put them inside the fridge, but not now. You have to store eggplant in the coolest part of the kitchen. It usually last longer outside the fridge and under room temperature.
- Grapes - You can use paper bag in the fridge. Usually last one to two weeks.
- Lemons - You can store them in sealed plastic. They usually last longer than in room temperature.
This is a short list for now. Cause I don't have much time to write. Do you have any other way of storing your fruits and veggies? Please do share it with us.